Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Aperture Part 2 - Depth of Feild

In one of my earlier post I talked about aperture and how it affects depth of field.  So this time around I thought I'd talk a little more about DOF.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, depth of is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects that appear acceptable in focus in a picture.

Instead of trying to get into all the technical stuff, I think the easiest way to show what that definition really means is to show it in pictures.

For all these pictures I shot in Aperture priority mode, meaning that the only camera setting I controlled was the aperture.  The camera looked after the rest of the settings for me.  I set the manual focus on the 24 inch mark on the tape measure.

f/5.6

As you can see in the first picture that there are only a few numbers in focus.  At f/5.6 the aperture opening was fairly big for this picture.  This is the sort of thing you might be looking for in a portrait. 

f/11

The second picture was made at f/11, a very common mid range setting.  As compared to the first picture more of the numbers on of the tape measure are now in focus.  this is a good starting point for anyone who is starting to use the aperture priority mode on there camera.

f/38

As we can see in the third picture almost the entire tape measure is now in focus.  With the aperture now at f/38 the opening would look something like a pin hole.  This is the sort of setting you would be using when shooting landscape type pictures.

And again I know I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of depth of field yet.  This is something I will be talking about more and more and more in the future.

But right now I need to get ready to go to a photography meetup,



Clip to Evernote

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment